GENERATORS FIRST TIME BUYERS GUIDE
So you're looking to buy a generator, but aren't sure where to start. Well you've made a good start. This guide will help you consider all aspects associated with choosing the correct generator for your home or office.
Below is a quick check list, by clicking on the links you will find more in depth information on that topic.
|BUYERS GUIDE CHECK LIST
|What size do you need?
- Find out what size generator you need. Use the Manual Sizing Sheet HERE or contact your local electrician to come and measure the load with everything turned on that you would like to use during a power outage.
- Be sure to find out if you need a single or three phase power supply to your house or office.
|Determine the Location of the Generator.
- The location of your generator is important in respect of health and safety and reducing costs.
- Install the generator as close the distribution board (DB) as possible to reduce the cost of your installation. The closer the generator is to the board the less cable you will need for the installation.
- Is your generator weatherproof? If not ensure it has a roof over it or it is installed in a room / garage. For health and safety reasons ensure that all the exhaust gases are expelled out of the building and the room is well ventilated.
|Aftercare and Maintenance
- Your generator will require maintenance based on the hours of use and time. Like a vehicle you should service your generator based on the hours of operation (same as km's on a car) or once per year minimum.
- Ensure that the company you purchase the generator from is reputable. If you cannot find parts for your generator this could affect the useful life of the generator.